fredag 11 augusti 2017

Follow the Master of Ceremonies

  Min främsta inspirationskälla för inläggen om Rap poetry är boken "Book of rhymes" av Adam Bradley. En helt fantastisk bok, och inte särskilt svårläst heller. Jag kan varmt rekommendera den till alla unga, presumtiva rappare.

MC Supernatural (Reco Price)

  Efter prologen så inleder han med ett kort kapitel om genrens begynnelse, och han exemplifierar med utdrag ur två suveräna texter. Den ena ('I know you got soul') kände jag till men jag var bara tretton år när Jimmy Spicer visade vägen. Ni kan ju notera varudeklarationen i första versen.

***


  Det finns inte så värst mycket biografisk trivia om Jimmy Spicer. Följande går att läsa på allmusic.com.

"Jimmy Spicer released a number of old school rap singles during the late '70s and early '80s, including the epic "Adventures of Super Rhymes" (Dazz, 1980), "The Bubble Bunch" (Mercury, 1982), "Money (Dollar Bill Y'all)" (Spring, 1983), and the Rick Rubin-produced "Beat the Clock" (Def Jam, 1985). "The Bubble Bunch" is also noteworthy for the fact that it featured Jellybean Benitez's first remix."


*


Adventures of Super Rhymes (extract), by Jimmy Spicer

(Label: Dazz Records, 1980.)

It’s the new thing, makes you want to swing
While us MCs rap, doing our thing
It’s not singing, like it used to be
No, it’s rapping to the rhythm of the sure shot beat
It goes one for the money, two for the show
You got my beat, now here I go
You see, this DJ, he gets down
Mixing records while they go round
With the hid-dip, the hop, you just don’t stop
You rock to the beat ‘til it makes you drop

Yes, I’m one of a kind, I’m Super Rhymes
And I’d like to say hello
And since I’m on the mic and I’m ready to rock
This is how it goes
Yes, I rock so good, I rock so well
I ring-ding-dang-a-ding-ding-a-dang, baby
I'll ring your bell
Yes, I’m Super Rhymes, I’m twenty-two
I want to be a hundred before I’m through
Because no, I didn’t come from the planet Earth
Planet Rhyme-on is my place of birth
From the day I came out my mother’s womb
I found myself in the operating room
Then the doctor spanked me on my behind
I didn’t cry, the kid started to rhyme

***

  Eric B. & Rakim är en hip hop duo som bildades i Long Island, New York 1986, bestående av Eric B. (född Eric Barrier) och MC Rakim (född William Michael Griffin Jr.). AllMusic skrev att "under rap-musikens så kallade guldålder i slutet av 80-talet var Eric B. & Rakim nästan universellt känd som det främsta DJ / MC-laget i all hiphop." Källa: Wikipedia

  "I Know You Got Soul" är en låt inspelad av Eric B. & Rakim 1987. En kommersiell och artistisk framgång. Den rankades # 23, av Rolling Stone på listan över Top 50 hip-hop-låtar, 2012. Källa: Wikipedia


  Lyriken i den här rap-låten är helt outstanding. Tänk att det gått trettio år sen den släpptes. Minnena exploderar i mitt huvud när jag påminns om 1987.



*

I know you got soul (extract), performed by Eric B. & Rakim
(From album Paid in full. Label: 4th & B'way, 1987.)

It's been a long time, I shouldn't have left you

Without a strong rhyme to step to
Think of how many weak shows you slept through
Time's up, I'm sorry I kept you
Thinking of this, you keep repeating, you miss
The rhymes from the microphone soloist
So you sit by the radio, hand on the dial, soon
As you hear it, pump up the volume
Dance with the speaker 'till you hear it blow
Then plug in the headphone cause here it go
It's a 4 letter word when it's heard, it control
Your body to dance (You got it) soul
Ditects the tempo like a red alert
Reaches your reflex, and let it work
When this is playing, you can't get stuck with
The steps, so get set and I'm a still come up with
A gift to be swift, follow the leader, the rhyme will go
Def with the record that was mixed a long time ago
It can be done but only I can do it
For those that can't dance, just clap your hands to it
I start to think and then I sink
Into the paper like I was ink
When I'm writing, I'm trapped in between the lines
I escape when I finish the rhyme...
I got soul

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar